The oldest of the baby boomer generation turn 75 this year. This is my parents' age group. We are supposedly the first generation to not live as long as our parents. Our diets and lifestyles need to be taken more seriously. I look at my life and luckily love what I do, however the thought of retiring and enjoying my time on my own schedule is so appealing. I want to make sure I am healthy and can live an active lifestyle when I get to that point. Consider how hard and long we work our whole lives and for what exactly? When I ask myself why people don’t stay active, I wonder what they say to themselves. Here are some of my thoughts on staying active as we age…
- Use it or lose it. How can one complain about losing mobility, muscle tone, flexibility etc., if they aren’t attempting to try to stay fit?
- We are given this amazing body with one opportunity to treat it well. If we don’t, it will fail us sooner than later
- I want to play on the floor with my grandchildren! And I want to be able to get up afterward.
- I want to enjoy nature in my older years so walking on the beach, in the woods, or up mountains with unsteady ground is going to happen. I need to have strong muscles and good balance to maintain this.
- I don’t want to be a burden to my children so will stay as fit as possible for as long as I possibly can.